06 March 2007

Gadgets and Widgets

While preparing my latest Blog Tripping post (February), I noted a few tools worth a comment. The first was a Yahoo tool for searching RSS feeds...

Atomic Patzer Makes Yahoo! Chess Pipe
http://ubutec.com/atomicpatzer/?p=29

Pipes: Rewire the web
http://pipes.yahoo.com/

...While it looks promising, I'm not yet convinced it has real value. I use a few other Yahoo RSS tools, mainly in MyYahoo, and haven't found them to be particularly useful.

The next tool is the monstrosity that Snap has unleashed on the blog world...

Most prefer buttons instead
http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2007/02/most-prefer-buttons-instead.html

Your Opinion Requested
http://rlpchessblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/your-opinion-requested.html

...Free advertising, anyone? I purposely left Snap out of the tripping article, because I wanted to say, 'Snap Is Crap!', but I wasn't sure whether that would pass the guidelines established by the AP Stylebook that About.com follows. I did, however, leave an opinion (worded more politely) against 'Opinion Requested', because Wahrheit is genuinely interested in feedback.

I also noticed on another blog that there was a nice list of clickable labels in the widget column. I neglected to note the name of the blog and now I would like to see if that is done with a Blogger.com widget or maintained manually. I hope I notice it again next month.

***

I just checked the AP Stylebook. The entry on 'obscenities, profanities, vulgarities' says, 'Do not use them in stories unless they are part of direct quotations and there is a compelling reason for them.' Now I can quote myself elsewhere and adhere to the guidelines. As for the compelling reason, isn't being crap enough?

***

2007-03-18: Re 'a nice list of clickable labels in the widget column', it's a Blogger.com widget. I added it today.

1 comment:

Robert Pearson said...

I removed Snap--as well as reader opinions, the more I saw it the less I liked it. I appreciated your taking the time to comment.