27 January 2014

Fishing on the River Chess

Just because I'm Gone Fishing (*), doesn't mean all chess activity stops. Today I caught up on chess software downloads.

Komodo: The first stop was an offer for 'three months of ICC free' with the purchase of the Komodo TCEC. Since I was planning to extend my ICC membership, this offer was too good to pass up.

Arena: The Komodo product page mentioned a newer version of Arena than I'm currently running, so I picked up a copy from PlayWithArena.com.

It's been a few years since I last updated most of my chess software, documented in Arena, Rybka, Houdini, & Scid and Learn from Your Engines?. It's never good to let this slide for too long.

Scid: Sure enough, I found a newer version of this useful database program on Scid at SourceForge.net. There was also a more recent version, released a few months ago, but I decided to take it one step at a time and opted for one version older.

Chesslab.com: My favorite source of recent games has been problematic lately, throwing up Java security warnings. I checked my settings and couldn't determine the cause of the errors. If I can't fix it, I'll need a new source of games. That will require some research.

That's not a bad way to spend a rainy afternoon. I'll report on further progress if anything seems worthwhile.

***

(*) Photo: 'Fishing on the River Chess', Gone fishing...on the River Chess [watfordobserver.co.uk].

No comments: